The Nigerian banking sector changed a lot when they introduced the Bank Verification Number, or BVN for short. BVN is a unique identification number that is linked to an individual’s biometric information; fingerprints and facial recognition.
Before BVN came along, fraudulent activities, identity theft, and other financial crimes were so common within the banking sector. But BVN helped to fix these problems. In Nigeria, having a Bank Verification Number, is an essential requirement for anyone who wants to open a bank account. To enroll for BVN as Nigerian, follow these steps:
To enroll for BVN, follow these simple steps:
- Visit any branch of your bank.
- Next, complete the BVN Enrolment form provided by the bank. Make sure that all required information is accurately filled in.
- You will be required to undergo data capturing, which includes providing your fingerprint and facial image for biometric identification purposes.
- After completing the enrollment process, the bank will issue you an acknowledgment slip that contains a transaction ID.
- Within 24 hours of your application, the system will confirm your details, generate your BVN, and send you an SMS notification informing you that your BVN is ready for pickup.
Benefits of BVN
- Identity Verification: BVN provides people with a unique identification that can be verified across all banks in Nigeria, making it a universal identity for banking transactions. This means that your BVN is not limited to just one bank; it works across the entire Nigerian Banking Industry.
- Account Security: One of the primary benefits of BVN is that it helps protect customers’ bank accounts from unauthorized access. By linking an individual’s biometric data to their BVN, it adds an extra layer of security, reducing the risk of unauthorized transactions.
- Identity Theft and Fraud: BVN plays an important role in addressing the issue of identity theft, which, in turn, helps reduce exposure to fraud. With the unique identification provided by BVN, it becomes much harder for criminals to impersonate individuals
How to Check BVN on 9mobile
Step 1: Make sure that you have a minimum of N20 worth of airtime credit loaded onto your 9Mobile account. This balance is needed to complete the transaction.
Step 2: Once you have the required airtime balance, take your mobile phone and dial *565*0#.
Step 3: After dialing the code, you will need to wait for a brief moment. During this time, 9Mobile network processes your request and retrieves your BVN information. Be patient as this step may take a few seconds.
Step 4: Upon successful retrieval of your BVN, your 9Mobile account will be debited with N20. This debit serves as the cost associated with accessing your BVN through the network’s service.
Step 5: Once your BVN information is displayed on your phone screen, you have the option to either copy it or save it for future reference.