If you are an entrepreneur in Ghana and you are looking for customers both local and international, Amazon is one of the best places to list your product. Amazon is one of the most recognizable brands in the world, responsible for $386 billion in revenue in 2020. It was the fourth tech company to reach a $1 trillion market cap and is quickly on its way to $2 trillion. As of 2021, Amazon has over 200 million Prime subscribers. 147 million are based in the US.
How to Sell on Amazon from Ghana
Before you can start selling on Amazon, there are things to put in place before you can become a seller on the biggest e-commerce site in the world.
1. Register an Amazon Account
You can’t sell your products on Amazon without first registering on the platform. Fortunately, you can register online to become a seller in Ghana without having to live in the USA, thanks to the recent inclusion of Ghana in eligible countries for sellers.
You need to decide on the type of account you want to set up, you can choose either an Individual seller account or a professional seller account. With the former, you will be charged $0.99 per sale, in addition to separate selling fees, but the account is free. Professional accounts cost $39.99 per month but the $0.99 per sale fee is waived.
Details Required to Register on Amazon:
- Go to Amazon’s website and create an account or sign in if you have an account already.
- On the homepage, scroll almost to the bottom of the page (to the penultimate block of links) and click “Sell on Amazon” under the “Make Money with Us” header.
- Near the top right of the next page, click the orange “Start selling” button.
- You will now be prompted to enter a fair amount of information the process is easy and step-by-step, but before you begin, make sure you have the following information readily available:
- Your name, address, and other contact information, including a phone number and email address.
- A valid credit card that is accepted internationally.
- A phone number at which you can be immediately reached during the registration process for the authentication process.
- Your tax identity information.
- Your bank account number and routing number.
Once you have registered a seller account, you need to remain patient and wait for Amazon to activate and approve your account.
2. Choose a Shipping Partner
After you have successfully created an account and you get approved, the next step is to choose the appropriate shipping channel that suits your profit plan. There are two ways to go about this, you can;
– Ship your product directly from your store directly to the buyer, or
– Ship your products to Amazon’s warehouse through its FBA ( Fulfillment By Amazon ) program, and the product will be shipped to buyers by Amazon.
The first option is not the best one because of the international shipping cost. It is expensive, thus it scares away potential customers. Besides, it can take a long time for your products to be shipped from African countries to foreign customers, moreover, lots of packages get lost in transition and you might end up losing your money.
The second option is more appealing to consumers from the USA because your products are physically located at Amazon’s warehouse and they can be sold as a part of a ship-for-free program offered by Amazon, which can potentially increase your customer base.
3. Get the Amazon Seller App
Once you have chosen the appropriate channel for shipping and your account is up, you should calculate the selling price for your goods and start working on uploading products to your Amazon store.
Download the mobile Amazon seller app and use it to control and manage your new online store.
Assuming you are selling a product with an ASIN (Amazon’s identification number), a UPC (Universal Product Code the 12-digit number found on product barcodes), an EAN (European Article Number), or a book with an ISBN (International Standard Book Number), listing products on Amazon is remarkably easy.
- Go to your Seller Central Dashboard.
- At the top of the page, click or hover over “Inventory,” then hit “Add a Product” from the dropdown menu.
- Copy and paste or type the ASIN, UPC, EAN, or ISBN of the item to sell into the text bar under “List a new product” and hit “Search.”
- Assuming Amazon finds the product, on the next page, choose the condition in which you are selling it (be objective), and set your price (be competitive you will be able to see the lowest current price).
- Note that Individual accounts can’t set shipping prices, so if you want to be the lowest rate, you may need to undercut the bottom price by some dollars.
- Set the quantity of the item you have to sell and list the item.